Wednesday, November 16

Mormon Mommy Blogs

as (non-mormon) Emily Matchar, author of this >amazing and interesting< article  said. "I’m completely obsessed with their blogs. On an average day, I’ll skim through a half-dozen Mormon blogs, looking at Polaroids of dogs in raincoats or kids in bow ties, reading gratitude lists, admiring sewing projects. I’m not alone, either. Two of my closest friends — both chronically overworked Ph.D. candidates — procrastinate [on them] for hours."


This article, caused me to change the way i blog. i also follow lots of the mentioned mormon mommy blogs and more that she didn't mention. but, if i were to write something in her "comments" section, i would say:


"don't call us fake. we are not unrealistically happy. if you blogged, you would blog about things you want to share, and you write the same way that you think. well, who would want to share with the world how bad your day has been? who would want to display the hard times you have with your family? yes, you might trust this information to a close friend or family member, but not the world wide web. especially girls who have tens of thousands of followers like those blogs do. 


"you also write the way you think. and i believe that being a mormon, we have been taught to think about the positives. we don't dwell or stress about minor negative things, instead we try to be optimistic. what do you get when you put those two things together??? a very happy, optimistic, positive blog about the best things in their lives including: good hair days, cool crafts, the cutest pictures of their kids, the new shoes they bought yesterday, something yummy they made/ate, something loving their husband did, etc.


"there are negative blogs out there. it takes awhile to find them though because they don't have followers or traffic! who would want to read about bad hair days, stupid crafts, ugly pictures of  kids, (you get my point) basically, they are not making this stuff up. if they are the mormons they profess to be then we are also taught not to lie and making stuff up is lying. hehe. but thank you for posting this article. it made me change the way i view my own blog, and my life. 


"i am a mormon mommy-ish blogger and my life although not as stylish, is just as happy as theirs. sometimes, i think mine is happier. and if, they have the opportunity to make money by writing in their journal and taking pictures (which every mom does in some way, or should) then they have figured out how to work the system and just made their lives even better. because people like you and your friends read them and are just wishing you had the same knowledge about life, the gospel, and His plan of happiness. so instead of reading their blogs all day long. let me direct you to another website full of articles you would be interested in www.lds.org"


due to the lengthiness of this "comment", it was not posted for all to read under her article. instead just for my own followers. but. i do believe that she has some good points and provides a new and interesting outlook for the blogs we write. if, by some miracle, someone outside of my little community of mormon mommies reads my blog, i hope she will realize i am a mormon not because i post my church talks, daily scripture study insights, and lesson manuals. but instead because of my own positive outlook on my life, my family, and my home. because of the way i view motherhood as the most important role i can play in this life, and because of the love i freely give to all the children of our Heavenly Father. 


My name is Valeri Jones, I am a hairdresser, mommy of .5 kids (so far), photographer, and wife. I am a Mormon.

1 comment:

  1. Sydneyheadshotsandportraits helps you get Professional Headshots in 3 easy steps.
    https://www.sydneyheadshotsandportraits.com.au/corporate-headshots-sydney.html
    Address: 9 Keriba Street, The Ponds 2769, Australia
    Phone No : 0425 228 815

    ReplyDelete