Wednesday, July 18

Magleby's Chocolate Cake Recipe


coming from someone who worked there for a few years... I LOVE THIS CAKE. like, craved it when i was pregnant and i would gladly stuff a pillow under my shirt today, claim to be pregnant and craving it again just so that could get some without feeling guilty.

well, because i used to work there, i admit i feel totally awkward walking back into the restaurant just because the owner scares me just a little. maybe intimidates me is a better word. but... what about my cake cravings??? i did have my friends get it for me. or my husband. and sometimes i would bite my pride and just get one anyway. and heaven bless the girls at the salon that would get some and share it with all the stylists in the break room. oh and not to mention the weddings that have this cake. i totally was that girl sneaking away with more than my fair share. but... the time finally came for me to just make it. here's the recipe:


Magleby's Chocolate Cake Recipe:

1 Cup butter
1 Cup water --boiling
5 T. heaping cocoa
2 Cups flour
2 Cups sugar
½ t. salt
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 t. soda -- dissolved in little water
1 t. vanilla
½ Cup sour cream

mix in butter, water and cocoa together, then add dry ingredients, mix the eggs, soda and vanilla in separate bowl and add to mixture. lastly, gently mix in the sour cream. do not over mix.
bake in two 8" or 9" round cake pans (buttered and floured) for 50 minutes at 325 degrees. 
remove from pans, chill (Magleby's freezes theirs) cut off the edges, and frost.


as far as the frosting goes... i do not have the recipe but... i just used one container of the milk chocolate frosting from the store with 1 cube butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 t. vanilla and 1/3 cup milk mixed in. -i do this because the chocolate flavoring is too overpowering to enjoy the taste of the cake, to lighten/fluff it up, and to make more!-leftover frosting is always welcomed in my house- the frosting tastes very similar to me!

about technically frosting the cake. i know i did a terrible job in the above picture but... i'm not a professional chef. and i was under a time crunch. i do remember starring for what seemed like hours at the cake decorator while working in the mornings while it was slow. seriously, that girl had it down! and sometimes, she would even let me have the crusty part they cut off -honestly my favorite part of the cake... seriously, when i left, the floor manager made me a huge bowl of these cut up pieces of crust and another bowl of frosting that i dipped them in as a going away present... the best!- i could tell you stories for hours about my employment there: crazy things doc said/did, phone calls, proposals, after hour clean ups and more but... honestly. the best thing about that shop is this darn cake. and the rolls. yeah, those too.

24 comments:

  1. Did you know that this is a family recipe? Totally not cool to share online. Makes me really sad actually. Please remove the logo at least since it is not the exact recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just happened upon the recipe from http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1783253-Magelby-s-Chocolate-Cake i did not know that the recipe hadn't been released. i will gladly remove the logo. please accept my apologies. i did not steal the recipe from maglebys nor create it myself, i just was frustrated that the above website didn't have an image with the recipe and thought others would want a picture of the cake as well.

      Delete
    2. If it's not the exact recipe then what do you care??

      Delete
    3. Cool it, food and love is meant to be shared. If it's not the same recipe, why you hating! Stop being so greedy!

      Delete
  2. Oh get off it anonymous. Valeri, you did nothing wrong so don't worry about it. People freak out way too much. I'm glad you gave it out. It's not like anyone is going to start their own restaurant around it. People take blogging waaaaay to seriously! Thanks for the recipe, and I'm your newst follower! I hope you'll check out my blog and join mine too!
    Try not to let people like this bug you, you'll get it a lot, and you just have to let it slide. If they had any guts they wouldn't comment anonymously. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting! I worked there too a while back and love this cake! The owner scares me a little bit too...so I don't like going in, but sometimes it's worth it for the yummy yummy food!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw this on Pinterest. I can't believe you used the Magleby's logo and acted as though you got the recipe from working there but when you got called out, you blame someone else. You should have linked and credited where you got the recipe in the first place! Blogging SHOULD be taken seriously. You and nummy little blog need a reality check. You guys give mommy bloggers a bad name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this post was never intended to explode the way it has on pinterest, and i don't have many followers so i wasn't stressed about linking back. i took the logo off as soon as i was asked, and the link is on here in the comments. i never said that i got the recipe from work, i just talked about working there reminiscing my memories and praising their food. i think i have been through a "reality check" as shown by the efforts i've made in order to make this post appropriate for mommy blogs, and in the way that i've continued to post with greater responsibility. i'm sorry you got offended.

      Delete
    2. Get off your high horse ANON! this recipe ROCKS. and so does this BLOG. and so does VALERI!

      Delete
  5. Cake looks awesome, thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For what it's worth, I've had this recipe for years and years. I think from my Grandparents. So... It's a widely use recipe. You can't technically own a recipe anyway. So chickensh... I mean, anonymous... You, my friend are the one in dire need of a so called "reality check". Though, this is more of a virtual reality in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, the frosting:

    1/2 cup butter
    1/3 cup sour cream (or buttermilk - which I prefer)
    4 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp salt
    About 6 cups powdered sugar

    Melt butter in saucepan. Mix in the cocoa powder and sour cream (or buttermilk)
    Heat until almost boiling, but do not boil
    Remove from heat, add salt and vanilla.

    Add the powdered sugar 1 cup and a time until desired consistency is reached.

    Frost, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This frosting was perfect!!!! Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
    2. This frosting was perfect!!!! Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  8. I am baking this right now. We do a birthday cake for Jesus each Christmas and this year we are having this one. I am going to frost it with homemade peanut butter frosting. Will let you know how it turns out. :)
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe is very similar to a Texas Sheet cake recipe I use all the time. The only variation being the sour cream. It is an old recipe and the restaurants have superior equipment that make the product taste even better. So to me, it makes no difference if it is the exact recipe that the store uses. It won't taste the exactly same in a home kitchen. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Can't wait to try it as a layered cake with that frosting recipe in the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe...whether it is the actual Maglebys recipe or not it is an excellent cake. From my many years of experience with baking I have found that the real secret to the Maglebys cake (as well as some other made from scratch cakes)is the freezing...not necessarily the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband just brought me home 2 pieces from a friends party. Oh my word, I couldn't get enough. I must make this asap. My family will love it. My daughter, who makes the best choc cake in the family, better watch out, I am coming after her. haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. For those of us living out of the state of Utah, we thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy to see the Magleby's recipe! However, I am making it for an event that will look better with cream cheese frosting on the outside! Do you know of or have :) a good recipe for that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy to see the Magleby's recipe! However, I am making it for an event that will look better with cream cheese frosting on the outside! Do you know of or have :) a good recipe for that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. If someone isn't going to comment as their real name, I don't think you should acknowledge them. IMO. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I am trying it today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ours is in the oven right now per another very similar recipe (1 cup of sugar is brown and the baking powder is reduced to 1/2tsp. - otherwise identical) So we freeze it right out of the oven to cool it?? Then frost it frozen? 11 minutes left and the kitchen smells devine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sydneyheadshotsandportraits helps you get Professional Headshots in 3 easy steps.
    https://www.sydneyheadshotsandportraits.com.au/corporate-headshots-sydney.html
    Address: 9 Keriba Street, The Ponds 2769, Australia
    Phone No : 0425 228 815

    ReplyDelete